Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Real Life

There are times when I look around and think "How did I get here?" Yesterday was one of those moments as I was watching real life unfold outside the window of the truck as if it were a movie I had seen before. I look around and I see a woman selling tortillas, a boy in torn clothes pulling a horse, a smile of gratitude from a lady in a wheelchair because someone acknowledged her presence in the world and I felt something telling me "wake up...this is real life!"

I was reading today about how Christ should live and breath in our every action and be so much a part of us that it is no longer us but Him that responds to our every move, our every thought. As I was reading and taking these words to heart--I literally heard what seemed to be a faint heart beat. Little did I know at that moment that it was the booming base coming from down the street.

To act as though our actions no longer exist but it is Him acting within us. This is to realize that all our talents, our passions, even our shortcomings are from Him and we should understand ourselves and our limitations and be content with what God has given us. I randomly came across a quote by Kurt Kobain that says, "Why would you want to be someone else, when it would be a waste of the person you are." So, instead of desiring the gifts and talents of others, think instead 'would I be willing to trade all the experiences of my life, the people that I know and love, even our very quirks that humble us at times, to want anything other than what I have already been given'.

A wise woman once told me something that I think sums this up much better. She said, "Don´t let anyone steal your joy. Give the world the best you have, even if they crumple it up and throw it away. Know your gifts so you can give them away and they will multiply. Acknowlege God at work in your daily life and don´t insult Him by living under the illusion that we are made to serve ourselves." That wise woman is my momma and I love her with all my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment