Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Latino Haircut


As of now in my lifetime I can say that I’ve jumped off a waterfall, and survived the ferris wheel in a third world country but nothing comes close to the exhilarating experience of my first Latin American haircut. Now every hairdresser I’ve ever gone to has always discouraged me from getting bangs. “No darlin. Not with your tiny forehead!’’ they say. Well I ventured to ask again and the hair dresser to my utmost surprise said, “Of course, if that’s what you want!” The anticipation lingered as she parted my hair, using a clip for every 15 strands of my hair. The climax was reached when she began to use this razor disguised as a comb. There it goes…the cut..the bang!! The name suits well.

It reminds me of the old fable about an old man, his boy, and his horse. They go into town; the man on the horse and the boy pulling the donkey behind. The townspeople cried “How could that little boy be expected to pull so much weight.” The old man gets off the horse and tells his son to get on and when they saw this they exclaimed, “That poor old man shouldn’t have to pull such a load with the healthy young boy to help.” So the old man and the son both got on the donkey but they said, “That poor donkey, it can’t be expected to pull such a heavy load.” Naturally they both get off and carry the donkey but never reached their destination. I say naturally because it is our natural tendency as human beings to want to appear pleasing to others.

As I was leaving the hair salon, a child looks up at me and cries, a shrilling cry. Just a coincidence, I muse to myself. Until someone calls out "Look, its Sally Pippin, the Hobbit child from Lord of the Rings." So I put it halfway up and someone tells me "You know who you look like; that girl from flashdance!" as they proceed to sing "She´s a maniac." So then I let my hair down and put a little latino strut in my step and a dab of Pantene and now they just call me "Chichita pero picante" which means short but spicy...just like Sally Pippin! So if you want to live a fullfilled life know yourself and be pleasing to your God or else you will never reach your destination!

2 comments:

  1. Britt...now I want to see a pic of the haircut!! for what it's worth I think you're always wonderful no matter what your hair looks like. Side note, remember when Michelle went and got her haircut in town?? Love you lady! and I pray all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I'm very curious about the Latino bangs.

    ReplyDelete